A Generation that Learns to Listen, Reason, and Persuade can Shape the Future
In a culturally enriched context, Orators practice speaking and leadership skills to enhance self-confidence.
Coaching sessions are led by volunteer coaches and conducted weekly to coincide with the school year. Coaches are seasoned professionals who possess formal training in language skills and experience in oratory. Their role includes assisting students in identifying appropriate recitations and preparing students for statewide competitions.
The New Jersey Orators program is designed to:
- Develop proficiency in seven oratorical categories
- Through statewide competitions, acclimate students to speaking before large groups
- Enhance self-esteem and build leadership skills by exposure to great writing, and developing one’s speaking “styles”
- Engage parents in their child’s development by assisting
in appropriate material selection, monitoring school grades, and partnering
with chapter coaches
- Improvement in speaking, writing and presentation skills through the mastery of the many forms of oratory
- Improvement in overall academic skills through language mastery
- Facility and confidence in expressing one’s ideas in the classroom and other settings
- Exploration, understanding and appreciation of literature and history
- An expansion of ideas through participation in cultural events (plays, lectures/speeches, cultural celebrations)
- An exploration of career and job choices through meeting
a variety of professionals, artists and public speakers
At the beginning of each semester, orators research and select possible recitation material. The New Jersey Orators maintains special relationships with librarians throughout the state, and librarians often assist in identifying appropriate authors and works. With the guidance of coaches and parents, a child selects the material and category.
Need to Register
Now you may register online.
As a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization we readily accept cash donations.